Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Before Bedtime

 

Important Disclaimer:  If you don’t have a sense of humor this story is not for you. 

 

Before Bedtime

 

He looked at his dog Arisia and shook his head.  “One hundred and fifteen days in a row.”  The sun continued to rise as he looked out the window, with the dog’s head on his lap.  Arisia could feel the waves of frustration pouring out of her owner.  His mask and cowl were next tom him on the couch.  He struggled so hard each night to fight crime and the “vampires, demons and the forces of darkness.”  But not even cursing Perry the Platypus would make him feel better.  That Trio was simply the source of frustration for all the heroes and heroines who took care of the night shift.  The White Shadow scratched his dog’s left ear.  “Arisia, they just have so many dang powers!  I mean they’ve been doing this since they were in Pokey Oaks Kindergarten.”  Arisia barked because she helped him each night and the results were always the same when the sun came up.  They simply hadn’t done enough.  He was just one man with a dog.  But dang it she thought.  “He’s the best dog dad ever!”  The White Shadow let his head drop and sighed.  He finally raised his head and hugged his dog.  “There’s always another day at least that’s what Jordan’s always singing.” 

          There were in college these days that frustrating trio.  In his head the White Shadow could hear that annoying narrator calling out their names.  “Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup.”  “Grr!”

He hugged the dog again.  “I gfotta get ready for bed, Arisia but just once I want to beat them at their own game.  I should be happy they do what they do in the daytime I guess but just once I want to be able to say that unlike the Powerpuff Girls the White Shadow and Arisia actually ‘Saved the World before bedtime’.  Just once kid.” 

 

 

 

Director’s cut: It’s just a silly fun short story.  I work nights and, on my nights off I’m usually still up in the middle of the night.  Well, every time I am, and the sun is coming up I will tell my dog.  “Well Arisia it happened again we didn’t stop the sun from coming up.”  It sparked a conversation with my friend Lori of “what if the White Shadow was in a competition with the Powerpuff Girls trying to save the world before bedtime at night while they did so in the daytime.  The song I referenced is called “Don’t Color me Blue” by my friend Jordan Cody. I'm leaving a link to her song to make her famous.  Don't color me blue by Jordan Cody



No comments:

Post a Comment