Monday, June 1, 2015

I like other things

I like other things.
On May 31st I was online and commented on a facebook page that wanted to say Goku of Dragon Ball could beat Superman.  My official response was this “Superman is already overrated but really Dragon Ball is even more overrated.”  I was quickly called a loser by a person who shall remain nameless.  I’m not trying to protect the person’s innocence.  I defended my right to have an opinion and advised this person that what I had said was no cause for calling another person names.  We have developed a culture that exhibits itself in politics and other areas that gives strangers and people we know these ideas that just because we disagree with something someone likes or dislikes that it’s acceptable to call them names.  This is asinine and stupid.  God has created each person with this thing called free will that allows us to make choices for ourselves.  I’m not a loser.  I myself am a fan of comics and anime and pro-wrestling and videos games.  Like any other person I have things I like and dislike.  This does not make me or anyone else a loser.  I did not in return call this person a name either.  I was however asked why I needed to write a blog or defend myself.  I am a writer I communicate with written word it’s something I enjoy.  I also would like to address the manner in which I was treated. I have a friend who is also a wrestling fan and he and I don’t like the same things but Jonathan and I are still friends and we both like wrestling just different people and aspects.  My wife Marion doesn’t like Star Wars I love it, my friend Clyde doesn’t like cottage cheese(like it) and yogurt (not a yogurt fan either), my friend Payton doesn’t like tomatoes I love them, my friend Esme likes the music of Prince I do not.   Liking and not liking something makes us unique it has not and will not ever make someone a loser. 
            Now I have tried to watch Dragon Ball and was quite bored.  As an anime fan I care about a good story and animation.  Here’s a small list of the anime I do like: Bubblegum Crisis, Divergence Eve, Area 88, Vampire Hunter D 1-2, Appleseed 1-2, Najica Blitz Tactics, Blood the Last Vampire, Gatchaman, Wolverine, Blade, Iron Man, Gunsmith Cats, 009-1, Blue Submarine #6, Dirty Pair,  Street Fighter 2 V and more.  To me the artwork and length of time it took to do anything in Dragon Ball threw me off. 
            As for me saying Superman is overrated well he is.  My friend Sheryl agrees with me.  We have the strongest hero apparently ever and what are his weaknesses magic, a green rock and my favorite Lois Lane who purposefully does stuff to get him to rescue her. I have been a fan of Lois and Clark, Superman 1-2, and a few comics.  Death of Superman is the only comic I have really liked featuring the Man of Steel. Batman is overrated as well master detective, master of hand to hand, and Olympic level athlete.    DC Comics has founded on these 2 but they still treat Wonder Woman like a redheaded step child.  Probably the 2 best Superman and Batman stories I do like are Apocalypse and Pain of the Gods.  To me Power Girl, Supergirl, and Superboy have more personality than Superman.  Yes I said Power Girl she’s stubborn she’s been a leader of the JSA same powers yet no Rogues gallery all they can seem to do in her own comics is play up the fact that she’s a woman with a little cleavage showing.  Really the JSA didn’t have to do that.  Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, and Shadowbat are more interesting to me than Batman.  I’ve heard it said that Marvel’s Moon Knight and Night Thrasher are just a poor man’s version of Batman.  No, no they aren’t.  Moon Knight didn’t lose his parents he was found dying in the desert by Khonshu the Egyptian god of the moon.  He has at least 3 or more identities he has created for himself.  He has had super powers from the moon itself.  He was a mercenary.  He has a background and operates so unlike Batman.  Night Thrasher has had the New Warriors he has adopted Rage to be his guardian.  Rage is not like Robin he is a 14 yr old trapped in the body of a super heavyweight.  Night Thrasher was forced to gun down his own grandma to stop her from using demonic powers, he’s been misled by his uncle, and watched his teammates lose their own relatives.  He’s trained his body to be a living weapon, created a suit of armor, used guns, and fought along and led heroes who have powers.  Growing up I was introduced to comics because of the Avengers then the Fantastic Four vs New Warriors, and Spider-Man.  I have learned to love heroes who are not the most popular.  Here’s part of why I am defending what I said Jeremiah because I’m standing up for the women and not so popular heroes. Hawkgirl, Power Girl and Arisia are in my opinion 3 of DC’s most underwritten and underrated heroines it always feels to me they were created but no writer knows what to do with them.  She-Hulk has more depth of personality than the Hulk.  The madder she gets the smarter she gets, she’s been trained to fight by S.H.I.E.L.D.  She’s a lawyer.  She’s discovered by working out she can increase her strength tenfold when she changes from Jennifer to She-Hulk.  Namorita or Kymaera is a heroine with a rich history from being Namor’s cousin, her mother was an Atlantean clone, she was in the New Warriors, dated the first and best Nova, was mind warped and showed up in War of Kings.  She and Darkhawk were swept under the rug like they didn’t matter.

            When I write I pick obscure characters that appeal to me and I want my readers to learn to like them.  Fictional heroes and villains are not just fictional they can be your friends.  My friend Amy gets lost in the universes of the books she reads I get lost in books, comics, video games, wrestling, and cartoons. Just because someone likes things different than you does not make them a loser it makes them a person that breathes air just like you do.          

No comments:

Post a Comment